Tuesday 17 July 2012

We've Packed Our Bags!

With the Olympics this year, the airports might be getting pretty busy, and I thought as We're All Going on a Summer Holiday this month, an alternative form of air travel might be needed. How about a flight to Paris in a hot air balloon?



I have used one of the papier mache suitcases which can be found here. I coated it with gel matte medium first, as this helps to seal it so the paint doesn't cause it to swell. I then used dark brown paint, a crackle layer, and a beige paint.


For the straps I used grungeboard which I painted with the dark brown paint and then sprinkled with Vintage Photo Distress Embossing powder, to give a rusted effect, and added fleur de lys brads dabbed with alcohol ink, which I also used on the catch as it was a bit too silver. I glued them on with glossy accents so I could work the stamping around their positioning.


For the stamping I used Artistic Outpost French Flight and Paris Exposition, which combine well together, and I think I used every stamp on the two sets! I used StazOn in Jet Black, Timber Brown, and Rusty Brown, so that some of the images were more in the forefront than others.


I wanted some rivets on the base so I used hole punched circles of card, covered in brown paint and Vintage Photo ep, to give a rusted effect. I curved then a little on a mat with a ball tool and then filled them with glossy accents which I left to dry, then applied more to glue them on.


I'm going to use this suitcase to store my marker pens in.

11 comments:

  1. Terrific makeover Lucy, which reminds me I have one of these cases will have to dig it out and wipe the dust off........lol Annette x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Delicious! Love suitcases, and I love travel ephemera... this is a beautiful project I'd love to have made!
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous Lucy, it must of taken ages but soooo worth it :o) xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Lucy, what a transformation! Beautiful crackle effect and stamping. X

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lucy, I left a comment yesterday and have no idea where it went! This altered suitcase is incredible! I love the crackled background and the collage of stamped images are perfect! Fabulous as always! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous! Love the wonderful vintage feel!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awsome suitcase Lucy! How long did it take you to finsh this? What a great piece of art.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is awesome! Let's go on holiday!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lucy, this is great--what a fun AND useful thing!

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fabulous!!! Love all your stamping and those hinge straps are perfection.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.